Disability benefit replaces the part of your earning capacity you have lost due to permanent illness or injury.

Whether you are entitled to full disability benefit or graded (partial) disability benefit depends on your earning capacity. If it is possible for you to work say 40 per cent, you may be eligible for 60 per cent disability benefit.

Who is entitled to disability benefit?

To be eligible for disability benefit, you must generally satisfy the following criteria:

  • You must be between 18 and 67 years old.
  • You must have been a member of the National Insurance Scheme in the last three years before you became disabled.
  • Illness and / or injury must be the main reason why your earning capacity has been reduced.
  • Appropriate vocational rehabilitation measures must have been completed.
  • Your earning capacity must be permanently reduced by at least 50%, due to illness and / or injury.

If you are receiving work assessment allowance at the time of your application, it is sufficient that your earning capacity has been permanently reduced by at least 40 per cent. If your disability is due to an approved occupational illness or injury, it is sufficient that your earning capacity has been permanently reduced by at least 30 per cent.

Wow much will you receive?

Disability benefit provides a secure income to those who have a permanently reduced earning capacity due to illness or injury.

We use the income you have had over the last few years before you became ill or injured to calculate your disability benefit. If you have had low or no income, you are entitled to a basic benefit. Cash benefits for care (text in Norwegian) is considered as Income. The same applies to foster care allowance (text in Norwegian).

In addition to disability benefit from the National Insurance Scheme, you may receive a disability pension from a public occupation pension scheme, such as the State Pension Fund (SPK) or Kommunal Landspensjonskasse (KLP).

You earn rights to a retirement pension even if you are disabled. Read more about disability benefit and earning a retirement pension.

If you are admitted to an institution for a period, this may affect your disability benefit.

Combining work and disability benefit

You may work full or part-time given the possibilities that you have. It pays to work because your income and disability benefit will always be higher than your disability benefit alone. Read more about working while receiving disability benefit.

Supplementary benefits

  • If you support children under 18 years old, you may be eligible for child supplement
  • If your cohabiting partner or spouse dies, you may be eligible for survivor benefit.
  • If your degree of disability is 50 per cent or more, you are entitled to a concessionary card. You retain your concessionary card regardless of how much you earn in combination with your disability benefit.
  • If you are receiving disability benefit, you may not have to pay all or some of your student loan. You can read more about this at lanekassen.no.
  • If you have low income and high housing expenses, you may be eligible for state housing benefit. You can read more about this at husbanken.no.
  • In order to be entitled to contractual early retirement pension (AFP) in the private sector, you must not have received disability benefit from National Insurance Scheme after the age of 62 years. Read about what applies when you

Disability benefit and tax

Disability is taxed the same as earned income. There is no tax deduction in June and your tax deduction is halved in December.

NAV receives your tax card automatically from the Norwegian Tax Administration.

How to apply

Before disability benefits can be assessed, your chances of being in work must be clarified. This means that you must have carried out work-oriented measures either in your current job or out in an enterprise. In addition, you must have completed all appropriate treatment that can improve your work ability. This must be documented by a doctor.

You may apply for disability benefit online through our online service Ditt NAV. If you have lived abroad or have children under 18 years old, you must submit your application by ordinary mail.

The time it takes to process an application depends on when NAV receives the necessary documentation. Read more about NAV processing times.

Travelling to or from other countries

Moving abroad may affect the size of your disability benefit from NAV. If you move to another EEA member state, you will usually continue to receive your disability benefit from the National Insurance Scheme. This does not apply if you are a refugee. If you are receiving disability benefit with rights as a young disabled person, it is possible that you may not receive some of your disability when you move to another EEA member state. There are also special rules if you move outside the EEA. You can read more about staying abroad under "International".

Notify changes

If you have an income in addition to disability benefit, you must report your income to NAV. You may report how much you are expecting to earn by logging in to Ditt NAV.

There are several factors that may affect your disability benefit, including a change in your marital status and moving abroad.

In such cases, you must notify NAV immediately.


See payment dates, holiday pay and tax withholding. You can also check your payments through Your payments service.

Do you have any further questions about disability benefit?

You can call NAV Contact Centre on telephone +47 55 55 33 33. 

Most of the main information about your entitlements and duties is available here in English. There are also links to other more detailed information; however, some of this information is only available in Norwegian.