Coming from a country outside EU/EEA to work in Norway

Membership of the National Insurance Scheme is the key to your entitlements from NAV. If you are employed to work in Norway you automatically become a member of the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme from your first day of work.

As an employee you become a member even if you are residing in another country while working in Norway. You do not have to be a Norwegian citizen, registered with the National Population Register or liable to pay taxes in Norway. What is crucial is that you are legally entitled to perform work in Norway.

  • Through the membership you are entitled a.o. to health care in Norway and can earn pension rights according to the regulations of the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme.
  • Membership of the National Insurance Scheme means that you must pay national insurance contributions.

Norway has concluded agreements on social security with the following countries outside the EU/EEA:

  • Australia
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
  • Canada
  • Chile
  • Israel
  • Montenegro
  • Quebec
  • Serbia
  • Turkey
  • USA

You can read more about membership and social security agreements in the meny to the right.

If you are sent by your employer in one of these countries to work for that employer in Norway, special rules may apply. You are advised to contact the competent authorities in country where you work.

If you come to take up work as a self employed you will not become a member of the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme unless you are residing in Norway. Under the National Insurance Act you are generally regarded as resident in Norway if you plan to and are legally entitled to stay in Norway for at least 12 months.