Appeals in child support cases

Both parties in child support cases can appeal against NAV’s decision. This applies to both the decision of NAV Local Services in establishing the child support, and decisions in connection with collection by NAV’s Collections Centre.

Appeals against the establishment of child support

Both the non-custodial and custodial parent may appeal decisions on the establishment of child support by NAV Benefits Administration. If NAV Benefits Administration do not completely agree with the appellant, the national insurance office will send the case to the NAV appeals unit, which is the administrative appeals body. The appeals unit’s decision is final and may not be further appealed.

Appeals against child support collection

You will find the information form for the financial circumstances of the non-custodial parent that NAV Collection Agency needs to evaluate your case under Related links.

The non-custodial parent

If you are a non-custodial parent and are having deductions made by NAV Collection Agency from your pay, you can appeal against it. The appeal should be sent to NAV Collection Agency. If NAV Collection Agency does not uphold your appeal, they will pass the matter on to the Øst-Finnmark District Court, which is the administrative appeals body. If you are not getting deductions from your pay but have a payment arrangement with NAV Collection Agency, there is no formal appeal process. Nevertheless, you can ask NAV Collection Agency to review the payment arrangement if you disagree with the size of the award. In this instance, you must complete ”Information Form concerning non-custodial parent’s financial circumstances” and submit confirmation (documentary evidence) of the details that you want NAV Collection Agency to take into account.

Custodial parent

If you are the custodial parent and have asked NAV Collection Agency to claim child support for you, you are entitled to know the basis for the monthly amount that the centre has ordered the non-custodial parent to pay. This amount is established following the guidelines in the Creditors’ Security Act (dekningsloven). The non-custodial parent may claim to retain sufficient funds to maintain him/herself and his/her household. You may ask NAV Collection Agency to amend the amount paid if you have new information that you think may affect the collection.

How du you appeal?

See "Appeal rights".