How to apply for establishment of child support

Below is a description of how to proceed if you would like NAV to establish the child support payment.

If you make a private agreement about child support, you do not need to apply to NAV.

If you do not reach a private agreement, each of you may apply to have the child support established by NAV.


There are two application forms; one for the custodial parent and one for the non-custodial parent. Each of you may apply for NAV to establish the size of the child support payment. The parent who does not submit an application is still expected to fill out a form, so we receive information from both parents. The same forms shall be used if one of the parents wants to apply for an alteration of a current child support payment

How to proceed:

  • As a custodial parent, you must fill out form NAV 54-00.05. As a non-custodial parent, you must fill out form NAV 54-00.08. 
  • Be careful when crossing off what you are applying for. If you want the child support to be collected (paid) through NAV, you must cross off for this. The child support may also be paid directly between you. 
  • You are each expected to fill out an additional form (NAV 54-00.15), which opens together with the application form. 
  • Attach documentation of your income and other aspects that require documentation. Please attach a written agreement on visitation (only available in Norwegian); if this has been agreed upon verbally, it is important to inform the extent of the access on the additional form. If you have expenses for your child/children attending  kindergarten, after-school club or other child care arrangements (only available in Norwegian), these must also be documented. See more about this in a separate attachment to the application form. 

If one of the parents does not submit an application or the required documentation is not attached, NAV will still establish the child support payment. Information on your income may be obtained from your employers or established on a discretionary basis. This will not prevent the custodial parent from receiving maintenance payments, but it may take longer. 

When should you apply?

You should apply as soon has you have decided that NAV shall establish the child support payments. Under certain circumstances, the child support may be established retroactively, but this will be considered from case to case. When an application is made for alteration of a current child support payment, the general rule is that the alteration will be made from the month after NAV received the application. 

See the processing times for your county

How should the forms be submitted?

The application form, additional form and the necessary documentation may be submitted online or via ordinary mail.


If you need more information or guidance, call NAV on telephone (+47) 55 55 33 33.

Most of the main information about your entitlements and duties is available here in English. There are also links to other more detailed information; however, som of this information is only available in Norwegian.