Corona (covid-19) – what applies in my situation

See information about AAP.

Who is entitled to AAP? 

In order to receive AAP, your ability to work must be impaired by at least 50 per cent. 

We can assist with employment schemes, benefits during medical treatment or other follow-up.

Your impaired ability to work must be primarily due to illness or injury. There must be a possibility of improving your ability to work through treatment, employment scheme or follow-up by NAV. 

The goal is that you are able to find or retain work during the period in which you are receiving AAP.

You do not need to be receiving sickness benefits or other benefits from NAV in order to apply for AAP.

If you have previously received AAP

If you have previously received AAP and become ill again, without having accrued the right to sickness benefits, you may receive AAP once again for up to six months.

This applies if you only require the work assessment allowance for a limited period until you are again able to commence work. To earn the right to sickness benefits, you must have been working full or part-time for 26 weeks.

From sickness benefits to AAP

If you are receiving sickness benefits and your sickness benefit year is about to come to an end, you must yourself apply for AAP if you are still ill.  You will not automatically receive AAP. Read more about the transition from sickness benefits to the work assessment allowance.

Membership in the National Insurance Scheme

As a general rule, to be entitled to AAP, you must have been a member of the National Insurance Scheme for at least three years. Exceptions may be made if you have previously been a member of the National Insurance Scheme.

Read more about membership in the National Insurance Scheme.

You must be between 18 and 67 years of age to receive AAP. If you are between 62 and 67 years of age when you apply, the general rule is that you must have earned a pensionable income that is equivalent to the National Insurance basic amount (G) the year prior to your ability to work being impaired. Exceptions may be made.  

Duty to act

In order to be eligible for AAP, you must actively attempt to find employment. This is known as a duty to act. The duty to act entails that:

  • you are involved in preparing a specific plan for what you will do in order to return to work,
  • you attend the agreed meetings with NAV,
  • you provide the information and documentation that NAV requires in order to assist you,
  • you complete the activities that you and your NAV advisor have agreed to in your plan.

You must notify NAV if anything prevents you from following the agreed plan.

If you do not complete the agreed activities, NAV may reduce or stop your work assessment allowance. 

Absence due to illness or holidays 

If you cannot complete the agreed activities due to illness or holidays, this may have implications for the payment of your work assessment allowance.

Read more about the rules for absence.

You can also read more about absence due to holidays and periods spent abroad under the section entitled “Please notify us if your situation changes” at the bottom of the page.

There may be deductions in your payments

If you do not comply with the agreed duty to act and there are reasonable grounds for doing so, we can reduce payments of your work assessment allowance. This entails that you may lose one day of benefit payments if you: 

  • do not attend a meeting we have called you to, 
  • do not meet on a specifically agreed day to participate in programmes, assessments or treatment,  
  • do not submit documentation and/or information that we have requested by the deadline. 

Activity plan

You are entitled to receive the work assessment allowance (AAP) while you are engaged in the following activities to find or return to work: 

  • medical treatment, 
  • employment scheme,
  • gradually increasing the amount you work after illness (work capability testing),
  • follow-up by NAV after you have attempted treatment or initiatives.

You may also be entitled to receive AAP during waiting periods:

  • while you and NAV are working out an activity plan,
  • while you are waiting for treatment or a place in an employment scheme.

You may also be entitled to receive AAP during certain other periods without an activity plan. Read more about AAP in Work Assessment Allowance (AAP) during transitional periods.  

Your digital activity plan

You and your NAV adviser will together prepare an activity plan. The activities must be described in a digital activity plan on the Ditt NAV portal.

Both you and your NAV adviser can enter proposed activities in your plan. You can also communicate with your adviser electronically about your activities in a digital dialogue.  The dialogue here will be about the follow-up from NAV aimed at getting you into work.

Any questions you may have about payments and benefits will not be answered in the activity plan, they will be communicated via the Ditt NAV portal. If you cannot find the answers you need there, call NAV on (+47) 55 55 33 33.

Follow-up usually takes place via the activity plan, but NAV will call a meeting if necessary.  The plan is easy to amend, meaning you can easily adapt the plan if there is a change in your health and functional ability.

If NAV proposes activities in the activity plan that you are going to do, you must respond promptly to let us know that you have seen the proposal and agree to it. You may also start a dialogue or respond to a message from your adviser via the activity plan. If you disagree with the proposal, you must immediately give notice by starting a dialogue. 

Read more about the activity plan

Access your activity plan at Ditt NAV.

What can you receive?

AAP is equivalent to 66 per cent of your income in the year prior to your illness or the average of the last three years prior to your illness. You will receive what results in the best calculation in your situation.  

Among other things, the AAP you are entitled to will be determined on the basis of your previous income and if you have children. An annual income of more than six times the average of the National Insurance basic amount (6G), is not included in the calculation of AAP.

Read more about the National Insurance basic amount.

In addition to AAP from the National Insurance Scheme, you may be entitled to the disability benefit from an occupational pension scheme, for example, the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund (SPK) or the Municipal National Pension Fund (KLP). 

Calculation of AAP

In order to calculate your daily rate of AAP, you must divide the annual amount by 260.  What you will receive depends on your income tax rate and the amount of work or absence you report in your employment status form. The employment status form must be submitted with updated information every 14 days.

Read more about the calculation of AAP.

If you work 60 per cent or less of a full-time position, the work assessment allowance you receive will be reduced.

If you work more than 60 per cent during an employment status form period, you will not receive AAP (including the child supplement) for the relevant employment status form period. Each employment status form applies for a period of 14 days.

The number of hours you work determines the amount by which the payment is reduced. With some exceptions, the amount you earn is of no importance. 

The reduction is calculated based on 37.5 work hours per week. The number of hours you have been in paid work is deducted.

If you are close to returning to full-time work, you may agree with NAV to work up to 80 per cent until the work assessment allowance is no longer paid out. You may do this for up to one year. You may only receive one period of AAP while your work hours are being gradually increased, even if this is for less than 12 months.  

For how long are you entitled to AAP?

As a general rule, you cannot receive AAP for more than three years.

However, the length of time in which you receive AAP will depend on how long you will need to participate in work-oriented activities or receive medical treatment before you are able to work.  The work assessment allowance period will therefore vary from individual to individual.

The work assessment allowance period may be extended beyond three years, if:

  • due to illness or injury, you were not able to commence initiatives/treatment until after a lengthy assessment,
  • due to illness or injury, you were unable to combine treatment and initiatives.

You may also receive AAP for up to two years in order to complete an approved training scheme.

The work assessment allowance period can be extended by a maximum of two years.

If you have received AAP for the maximum period, you need to wait 52 weeks before you can have a new period of AAP. However, this does not apply if you have a serious illness or injury. 

How to apply

Before applying for the work assessment allowance, you need to register at You can also obtain assistance with registering at your NAV office.

Aplly work assessment allowance

During the process, you will receive several documents and decisions from NAV. See the overview of the various decisions and documents and what you can appeal.

When do you need to apply?

You can apply for AAP at any time if your ability to work has been impaired by at least 50 per cent. The earliest point at which you may receive AAP is from and including the day you apply.

If you become ill again after having received AAP, you can apply once more. Your ability to work must be impaired by at least 40 per cent. The earliest point at which you can again receive APP is from the day you apply. 

If your impaired ability to work is due to an approved occupational injury or occupational illness, it is sufficient that your ability to work has been impaired by at least 30 per cent.

If you are receiving sickness benefits and are still ill at the end of the sickness benefit year, you may be eligible for AAP. You must apply for AAP yourself.  Read more about the transition from sickness benefits to the work assessment allowance.

Read more about the transition from sickness benefit to work assessment allowance.

Payment and employment status form

In order to receive AAP payments, you need to send an employment status form every 14 days. NAV uses the employment status form to follow up your status and to calculate payments.

Read more about how to fill out an employment status form when you are receiving work assessment allowance

AAP is calculated and paid based on the information you provide in the employment status form.

You must specify how much you have worked and how long you have been in activity in the last 14 days, and confirm that you will be registered with NAV for the next period. The payment will be calculated based on the information you specify in the form. 

If the employment status form has been correctly filled in and sent at the correct time, payment will take place 2-3 days after the employment status form has been registered.

It is important that you submit the employment status form on time. If you send the employment status form after the deadline, a deduction will be made in the next payment that corresponds to the number of days the employment status form was delayed.

AAP is taxed as earned income and is also pensionable income. See Payment dates, holiday pay and taxwithholdings

Child supplement

In order to be entitled to the child supplement, the child must be a resident of Norway/the EEA or Switzerland.

If your child stays outside of Norway/the EEA or Switzerland for more than 90 days over a 12-month period, you will no longer be entitled to the child supplement.

You must notify NAV if the child will be staying outside of Norway/the EEA and:

  • will be staying outside of Norway/the EEA or Switzerland for more than 90 days, 
  • upon departure, has already stayed outside of Norway/the EEA or Switzerland for 90 days during the past 12 months,
  • during this stay abroad, the child will have stayed outside of Norway/the EEA or Switzerland for 90 days during the past 12 months. 

You must also notify us if you receive the child supplement for a child who resides outside of Norway/the EEA. The same applies if you receive the child supplement and the child moves outside of Norway/the EEA.

You will lose the right to the child supplement if you do not satisfy the requirements. 

Establishment of own business

You can apply to retain AAP for a limited period while you are establishing your own business. You can receive AAP for up to six months while you are in a development phase and/or three months while you are in a start-up phase. 

It is a requirement that the establishment of your own business will most likely result in you being able to support yourself, or possibly in combination with the disability benefit. You can only apply if you intend to start a new business. 

Contact NAV for more information on how to proceed. You can apply by using a separate application form (see under Forms below).  

Supplemental benefits

If you are currently involved in or are being assessed for an employment scheme, you can also apply for supplemental benefits to cover:

  • learning materials
  • daily travel expenses
  • travel to compulsory meetings
  • expenses for home trips
  • relocation expenses
  • child care
  • extra expenses for housing

Read more about supplemental benefits and how to apply.

Travel allowance

If, for a limited period, you cannot travel to and from your place of work or education/training due to illness or injury, you may have your extra travel expenses covered instead of AAP. You will need to apply for this and provide a medical certificate documenting that you cannot travel in the normal manner due to illness or injury and that you otherwise would have been on sick leave.

The travel allowance is intended to cover necessary extra expenses in excess of the normal expenses you incur for travel to and from your place of work or education/training.  

Please notify us if your situation changes

If you no longer satisfy the conditions for receiving AAP, you will no longer be eligible for this benefit and your payments will cease. Read about cessation of AAP in the event of interruption, institutional stay or other reason.

If there are any changes in your income, family situation and/or work situation, or if you are planning to spend some time abroad, this may have an impact on the amount you will be paid from us.

If you are a Norwegian citizen and are planning to spend some time in other EU/EEA countries, you do not need to give notice of this if the time spent abroad will not entail any changes to the activities you have agreed to with us.

Please notify us as soon as possible if you:

  • Obtain full-time or part-time employment.
  • Receive payments from your employer.
  • Fully or partly recover from your illness or injury.
  • Stop participating in schemes or end treatment.
  • Will go on holiday or leave. Read more about holiday absences/periods spent abroad and access the application form.
  • Intend to move abroad. Read more about moving abroad.
  • Are in custody on remand, serving a prison sentence or in detention.
  • Change address or bank account number. You can temporarily change your postal address and account number
  • Are admitted to hospital or an institution.
  • Intend to travel or move abroad.
  • Receive a pension from another pension scheme.
  • Are responsible for more or fewer children.
  • Receive the child supplement and the child has his/her own income.
  • Have other information that may be of importance to your right to benefits.

Have you not received the full amount from NAV or received an excess amount?

You must give notice if you have received money that you are not entitled to. If you are paid an incorrect amount because you have provided incomplete or incorrect information, we will be able to claim repayment of this money. Repayment can take place in the form of deductions in National Insurance benefits or salary. In some cases, it may also result in criminal liability. The courts have a strict policy against National Insurance fraud and in many cases impose suspended or immediate prison sentences.

We can also claim repayment of benefits that were paid due to errors on our part if you understood or should have understood that the payment was incorrect. 

You have a duty to keep us informed about your situation, both by sending the employment status form and giving notice in the event of any changes. This ensures that you case will be correctly processed and the correct amount will be paid.

Most of the main information about your entitlements and duties is available here in English. There are also links to other more detailed information; however, some of this information is only available in Norwegian.