NAV or the authorities in the other country handle the child support case when one of the parents or the child lives abroad.

The address to NAV is: Postboks 6600 Etterstad, 0607 Oslo, Norway.

Phone number: (+47) 21 07 37 00.

How is child support established?

Child support can be determined in the three following ways:

  • You can make a private agreement
  • You can apply to have the payment established by NAV National Office for Social Insurance Abroad
  • You may apply to have the payment established in the country where you reside

How do you make a private agreement?

You can freely agree upon the amount of child support that is to be paid. This allows you to adapt the amount of child support to your specific situation. Read more about private agreements.

How does NAV establish child support?

Child support is always established by discretion when one of the parents or the child lives abroad. The point of departure is nevertheless how payments are established when both parents live in Norway. Discretionary establishment takes into consideration the cost of living in the countries where the child and each of the parents live, the income level in each country and currency differences.

When the child and both parents live in Norway, each of the parents must pay a fee when NAV establishes child support.

If one of you lives outside Norway, NAV will assess in each individual case whether a fee is to be claimed. The decisive factor is whether the agreement or convention that regulates the matter precludes the claiming of a fee. If this is not the case, NAV will claim a fee.

How is child support established abroad?

In most other countries child support is established by judgement or court settlement. If you want the payments to be established in the country where you reside, you must contact the proper authority/court in the country yourself.

If you live in a country that has ratified the Lugano Convention (Switzerland, Iceland and all EU-countries), you as a custodial parent are free to choose which country you want the child support to be established in. However, as a general rule the Convention stipulates that the non-custodial parent must apply for establishment in the country where the custodial parent resides. Norway has ratified the Lugano Convention.

For how long can you receive child support?

According to Norwegian legislation, the child’s right to receive child support ceases the month after the child has turned 18. When the child has reached the age of 18, the child and the parent that has made the payments, enter into an agreement to continue child support. If after reaching the age of 18 the child should continue with ordinary education, the child may present an application to NAV to establish child support after the age of 18. The precondition for handling the claim is that one of the parents or the child lives in Norway. As ordinary education it is primarily education that is similar to upper secondary education in Norway. When NAV establishes child support payments to children after the age of 18, payments are always time-limited.

Collection of child support

Initially the child support should be settled in private by the non-custodial parent transferring the payment directly to you. If you fail to receive payment in this way, you usually have the opportunity for assistance by the authorities for collection. This depends on which country you live in.

When Norway and the country in which you reside have a reciprocal agreement on collection of child support payments, or both countries have joined (ratifies) one of several applicable collection conventions, you may receive assistance from Norwegian authorities to collect and transfer payment. If the request to Norway comes from a foreign authority (which is the usual procedure), NAV will usually send the collected payment to this authority which subsequently transfers it to you. When NAV collects payment, it is not distinguished between payments established by NAV, foreign authorities or private agreements. NAV must however always receive a copy of the decision/judgement/agreement.

Can you receive advance payments of child support when you live abroad?

In exceptional cases you may on special terms receive advance payments of child support from Norway when you are abroad. This applies if you are a full member of  the National Insurance Scheme and your visit abroad is not meant to last more than 6 months, or if you work for a Norwegian employer. Ordinarily this service will not be provided by Norway when you reside in a foreign country. However, you might be entitled to a corresponding service in the country where you reside, if this country provides such services for its inhabitants.

Read more about advance payments of child support.

How do you proceed if you want the child support established by NAV?

You must complete forms NAV 54‑00.05 and NAV 54‑00.15 (which you find under Forms). While filling out the application you will find an overview of the documentation that must be submitted as attachments.

There are limitations to how far back in time NAV can establish payments for. If you are unable to reach a private agreement and have decided that you want to submit your application to Norway rather than obtain assistance from the authorities in the country where you live, you should do so as soon as possible.

If you are applying for change to a current payment, the payment will ordinarily be changed from the month following reception of the application (if the conditions for altering child support are met).

Notification of the decision

Both you and the non-custodial parent will be notified of a decision when NAV has decided the application.