Who can receive child care benefit?

 You must meet the specific conditions below to be eligible for benefits as a single mother or father.

  • You and your child must have been members of the National insurance scheme for the previous three years.
  • You and your child must live in Norway.
  • You must be unmarried, divorced or separated.
  • You are caring for your child alone.
  • You must not have be in a relationship with the child's other parent, which would imply you are not really a single mother or father.
  • You must not have a cohabiting partner
  • You are not considered a single mother or father if you are receiving or have previously received single mother or father benefits, and get a new child with the same partner.

You may be exempt from some of these conditions. Please contact NAV, telephone  55 55 33 33 for more information.

If you meet the conditions described above, you can receive child care benefit to cover the costs of child minding because you are working or setting up your own business.

It is a condition that you then entrust someone else with looking after your child, for example a day-care institution (barnehage), day-care facilities for schoolchildren (SFO) or a child minder. It is also a condition that you pay for this child care.

If you receive cash-for-care benefit, the amount you receive will be deducted from your documented monthly expenses for child care. The cash-for-care benefit will be deducted from your child-care expenses for both the child(ren) you receive cash-for-care benefit for and other children who live with you. This applies even if the cash-for-care benefit is paid to someone else who lives with you and the child.

If you need child care because you are registered with NAV as a genuine job seeker, or if you are attending a training programme or course of education that was approved by NAV, you will normally not be entitled to Supplemental benefits.  

There is an exception from this if you already receive child care benefit due to the rules that applied before 2016.  Transitional rules give you the right to child care benefit for a longer period, as long as you aren't entitled to supplemental benefits.

For how long will you receive child care benefit?

As a general rule, you are entitled to receive child care benefit until the child has completed their fourth year of school. If your child needs significantly more care than other children in the same age group, you may also be entitled to continue receiving child care benefit  after the fourth year of school. To claim extended child care benefit, you must document your child’s special needs with a medical certificate .

Child care benefit may also be extended if your work entail that you need to be away from home for long periods or if you have irregular working hours (for example shift work). In all cases, you must provide documentation of your employment, child care arrangements and how much you pay.

In the event of illness, you are entitled to continue receiving child care benefit for up to 1 year to prevent you from losing your child care arrangements. This is on the condition that your child is still looked after by someone else while you are sick and that you continue to pay for the child care.

Child care benefit is normally granted for 1 year at a time. Child care benefit is not normally paid in the one month holiday (July) when day-care institutions and day-care facilities for schoolchildren are closed. 

Important about the transitional benefit

Be aware that if you receive or intend to apply for transitional benefit, you are using the period with transitial benefit if you at the same time receive child care benefit or supplemental benefits.

How much will you receive?

Child care benefit covers 64 per cent of the documented expenses up to the upper limits (after deduction of any cash-for-care benefit, as applicable). This means that you must pay 36 per cent of the costs of child care yourself. See the rates for singel parents benefits. (Text in Norwegian).

If your annual earned income is greater than 6 times the national insurance basic amount, you are not entitled to child care benefit. Child care benefit is not subject to taxation and is paid from the month you meet the conditions for entitlement. 

Forfeiting your benefits

You can lose your single mother or father benefits within one month for these reasons

  • if you quit your work.
  • refuse to accept an offer of work.
  • fail to resume the job you had when your period of parental leave ends.
  • refuse to participate in a labour market schemes/measures or
  • fail to attend a meeting scheduled with NAV

The benefits that you were granted will be confiscated for the period of time in which you failed to meet these conditions.

If you provide incorrect or misleading information or fail to provide information that is necessary to your case, you may lose the right to such benefits for up to 3 months for the first infraction and up to 6 months for any repeated infractions during a consequential period of 3 years.

How do you apply for child care benefit?

You must apply for child care benefit using the form ”Søknad om overgangsstønad, stønad til barnetilsyn på grunn av arbeid og stønad til skolepenger til enslig mor eller far” which you'll find under "Form and Application" (NAV 15-00.01).

You must fill in all necessary fields in the form and submit all necessery documentation. When your claim has been processed, you will receive written notification of the decision. See the processing times in your county.

You may call NAV, telephone 55 55 33 33 if you need more information or guidance.

Travelling to or from other countries

If you are going to work abroad for a Norwegian employer and remain a member of the Norwegian National Insurance scheme, you may be entitled to benefits for single parents. You must send an requist to NAV before you travel with a cover page from nav.no. Enclose the cover page at the front of your letter and submit to the adress given on the cover page. If you have questions, please Call NAV 55 55 33 33.

You are obligated to notify NAV if you intend to leave the country for any extended period of time. You may have right to receive benefit abroad for 6 weeks (42 days) in a 12- months period.

If you are required to participate in occupational activity (work, education or you are a job seeker) and disrupt the activity because you are temporarily abroad, you will normally no longer receive your single mother/father benefits.

The information enclosed with the letter of decision, sent to you by NAV, provides information about the deadline for informing NAV that you intend to reside abroad (text in Norwegian) 

Report changes

Changes in your income, (you receive cash-for-care benefit or there is a change in the payment of cash-for-care benefit), family situation and/or work situation may affect the payment you receive from the Norwegian Labour and Welfare Administration. Stays abroad may also affect your payment. You must therefore immediately report any changes to NAV immediately.


Read more about Payment dates, holiday pay and tax withholding.

You can also check your payments on the Utbetalingsoversikt service.

Most of the main information about your entitlements and duties is available here in English. There are also links to other more detailed information; however, some of this information is only available in Norwegian.