Attendance benefit

If you need long-term private care and supervision due to illness, injury or congenital disability, you may be entitled to attendance benefits.

Who are entitled to attendance benefits?

In order to qualify for attendance benefits, you must have a special need for care and supervision due to your medical condition, i.e. you need help taking care of personal needs healthy people are able to handle on their own. This also includes stimulation, training and physical activity.

Attendance benefits do not cover practical assistance, such as cooking, cleaning or shopping.

The care or supervision must be provided by private individuals, such as:

  • spouse 
  • children 
  • parents
  • foster parents
  • other relatives
  • neighbors or others

Normally, care arrangements should be in place before you apply, but if your financial resources are limited, attendance benefits can be granted in advance, provided that the care arrangement takes effect as soon as the attendance benefit is paid. 

Attendance benefits do not cover services provided by public service providers under other laws, e.g. home care, even if you have to pay a user charge to the municipality for the service.

As a main rule, your care needs must normally last 2–3 years or more.

What are the rates?

Your care and/or supervision expenses must, at minimum, exceed rate 1, which is intended to cover 2–2.5 hours of private assistance per week.

When a family member has special care and assistance needs, some assistance without compensation is expected. NAV will take this into account in its assessment of whether you qualify for attendance benefits.

Rates for Basic benefit, Attendance benefit and Higher rate attendance benefit

Attendance benefits are tax free.

Please be advised that if a child is receiving attendance benefits and the person providing care and supervision is receiving a cash benefits for care (text in Norwegian), the municipality may reduce care allowance payments.  Cash benefits for care may be reduced by an amount equivalent to the attendance benefit payment. The municipality may require that you apply for attendance benefit before they will consider granting Cash benefits for care. You may, however, still apply for a cash benefits for care and attendance benefits at the same time. 

How long can you receive attendance benefits?

There is no limit to how long you can receive attendance benefits, but your care and supervision needs may change. If your application is granted, you may at a later date receive notice that your benefit will be reassessed. In these cases, you will receive a letter requesting that you submit information about your current situation, and documentation that you still need the benefit.

How to apply

You must submit a written application for attendance benefit. The form is listed under the heading of “Form and Application”.    

Your application must specify that you have made private care arrangements, or that the attendance benefit will enable you to make private care arrangements.

You must also provide the name of the doctor or doctors treating you, and the doctor’s address. NAV will collect the necessary medical information.

If you have reports from the Educational-Psychological Service (PPT) or school, you can include these in your application.

Report changes

If your care or supervision needs change or your family situation changes, or you are planning a stay abroad, this may significantly affect your payments from NAV. That is why you must  report any changes to NAV immediately.


Read more about Payment dates, holiday pay and tax withholding. You can also check the Utbetalingsoversikt service.

Basic benefit and attendance benefit shall be paid to the account determined by the parents, or a guardian appointed. An account can be created in one of the parents '/ guardians' names or in the child's name.

To register the account number for a child, you must complete form NAV 95-20.00 and submit this by mail to NAV.

Beneficiaries of attendace benefit over 18 years of age can change their account number at Ditt NAV. Read more about changing account numbers.

Most of the main information about your entitlements and duties is available here in English. There are also links to other more detailed information; however, some of this information is only available in Norwegian.