Sickness benefit (sykepenger) while studying

In principle, you cannot receive sickness benefit (sykepenger) while you are in school. If you are able to study full-time, NAV assumes that you can also work. However, there are some cases where you may be entitled to money from NAV while studying.

Part-time studies

  • Are you on sick leave from a part-time job, but still able to continue your studies? If so, you can receive sickness benefit based on your income if you have combined work and study over a certain period of time. 
  • Are you able to continue working, but have to discontinue your studies due to illness? If so, you may be entitled to work assessment allowance as a student. The money is calculated in relation to the number of hours you work.
  • If you are both on sick leave from your part-time job and have to discontinue your studies, you may be entitled to sickness benefit in combination with work assessment allowance.

Education as a means of finding employment

In some cases, your education may be approved by NAV as a so-called employment scheme. If so, you can either receive sickness benefit or work assessment allowance.

The local NAV office will assess the situation and what information is needed for your application. You can request an appointment with a supervisor at the NAV office by calling 55 55 33 33. 

Sickness grant from the Norwegian State Educational Loan Fund (Lånekassen)

If you become ill and cannot attend classes, you can receive a sickness grant from the Loan Fund.


Please contact the NAV office so that they can assess what applies in your situation.