Training allowance

You may be entitled to training allowance as compensation for loss of income if you have to attend a course or other training necessary for you to care for a chronically ill or disabled child.

Who is entitled to training allowance?

You are eligible for training allowance if you are gainfully employed and care for a chronically ill or disabled child. If other caregivers than the parents apply for training allowance, they must care for the child on a permanent or regular basis. It is not enough to be related or have a close relationship.

Several caregivers may be granted training allowance at the same time.

Professionals with ties to the child, such as mentors or social contacts (“støttekontakt”), respite care homes (“avlastningshjem”) or other similar professional caregivers are not entitled to training allowance.

Under the "Rules and regulations” tab you will find additional information in Chapter 9 of the National Insurance Act with associated regulations and circulars.

When are you eligible for training allowance?

To be eligible for training allowance you must care for a child who has a disability or illness that will last for more than one year, and

  • you are receiving the necessary training to enable you to be able to take care of the child, and
  • you are receiving training  at an approved healthcare institution or have participated in a parenting course at a public centre for special education, and
  • the training must last a whole working day during one week. The travel time may be included.

 You must also

  •  have worked for four weeks immediately prior to the period you are receiving training, or
  • have received unemployment benefit, sickness benefit, parental benefit or attendance allowance have had an income that is equivalent to half of the National Insurance basic amount, and
  • have loss of income because you are receiving the necessary training 

Training allowance is only paid for the time you are actually receiving training, not for homework, practical exercises outside the courses, etc. Necessary travel back and forth to the place of training may be included.

Training allowance may be granted even if the child has turned 18. In order to be eligible for training allowance, you must be responsible for the daily care of the child. As a general rule, you will not be entitled to training allowance if the child lives in his or her own home or in an institution.

You are not eligible for training allowance if

  • The purpose of the admission or stay is primarily training. If the purpose of this is an operation, examination, assessment and treatment, care benefit or attendance allowance are the correct benefits.
  • The purpose is to train staff in kindergartens, schools, SFO (before and after-school care) or companiions.

What is an approved healthcare institution?

An approved healthcare institution comes under the Municipal Health Services Act or Specialised Health Services Act. The institution usually provides in-patient stays, services of several types of health personnel and treatment options. Typical examples are hospitals, rehabilitation institutions and out-patients’ clinics.

The course or training may also be held at an external training institution, provided that the course or training is organised by the healthcare institution and that the healthcare institution takes full professional and financial responsibility for the course or training. This also includes the expenses incurred by the caregivers attending.

What is not an approved healthcare institution?

You are not entitled to a training allowance when you participate in training organised by non-profit, user or support organisations.

If NAV is in doubt whether a training institution is an authorised healthcare institution or is a special education resource centre, the healthcare institutions themselves must document their status. The Office for Children, Youth and Family Affairs (Bufetat) and the Technical Aids Centre are examples of healthcare institutions that are not approved.

Travel for treatment abroad

You are eligible for training allowance for up to two weeks when travelling for treatment abroad authorised by the Norwegian health authorities for children with psoriasis, arthritis, lung disease, atopic eczema, etc. Training allowance can only be granted for up to two weeks, as the training is not as intense and continuous as would otherwise be the case for entitlement to training allowance. After these two weeks, care benefit may be used to cover loss of income.

How much can you receive?

Training allowance is calculated in the same way as sickness benefit. Training allowance are paid from day 1. The basis of calculation is determined on the basis of your documented income on the date from which you apply for training allowance. The maximum basis for calculation is 6 times the National Insurance basic amount (G). Training allowancece is paid for 5 days per week, excluding Saturdays and Sundays. 

If you receive a foster care allowance or cash benefits for care, you must state this on the application for attendance allowance. Foster care and cash benefits for care can affect the calculation and payment of the attendance allowance.

Your employer may advance attendance allowance payments to you and claim reimbursement from NAV.

Go to “Rules and regulations” for more detailed information in Chapter 8 of the National Insurance Act.

How long can you receive training allowance?

Training allowance may be received as long as the criteria are met.

How to apply?

You must fill out and sign the “Application for training allowance” (form NAV 09-11.08), which you will find under  “Forms”. 

The form also includes boxes that must be filled out and signed by a physician at the healthcare institution or the special education resource centre that is responsible for the training.

It is very important that the physician provides accurate information about the child’s diagnosis /disability and recommended training. The physician must also make an assessment of whether the training is necessary and how many hours that were spent on training each day. 

If you are applying for training allowance in connection with travel for treatment abroad, you must also attach confirmation that Oslo University Hospital has given its consent to the stay/travel.

We also require information about your income.

  • If you are an employee, your employer must send us your income information digitally. You must yourself ensure that your employer sends the income report to NAV. 
  • If you are self-employed or a freelancer, you must submit form NAV 09-35.01.
  • If you are temporarily unemployed, you must use form NAV 08-47.05.

If you apply for an extension and it is less than 4 weeks since you last received the training allowance, your employer must send an amended income report.

You will find all the forms under “Forms”.

Application deadline

NAV can grant training allowance dating back up to 3 months before the month you submitted your claim, provided you meet all the criteria. If you are claiming training allowance for June, for example, you must submit your claim to NAV by the end of September.

Notify changes

You must notify NAV immediately if:

  • in connection with changes
  • you increase your number of working hours or have returned to work
  • you are taking a holiday


See the expected processing time for your county. In order to process the case, all necessary documentation must be received.

Approx. 10 days after submitting your application, you can log on to Ditt NAV to see the status of your claim.

Go to payment dates, holiday pay and tax withholding to see when your attendance allowance will be paid. See all your payments from NAV in the last three months by logging on to Ditt NAV. On Ditt NAV you may also change your registered bank account number

Have you any further questions about training allowance?

Please call 55 55 33 33 and enter 3 to talk to one of our advisers.

Most of the main information about your entitlements and duties is available here in English. There are also links to other more detailed information; however, some of this information is only available in Norwegian.