Sickness benefit for EEA citizens

Sickness benefit is a compensation for loss of income from employment in the event of occupational disability due to illness or injury.

EEA citizens who come to Norway are entitled to claim sickness benefit under Norwegian law if they are working in Norway.

Principal rules for entitlement to sickness benefit

  • You must be occupationally disabled due to a functional impairment that is clearly caused by your own illness or injury.
  • You must have worked for at least four weeks – time worked in another EEA country is also included in the qualifying period.
  • You must lose pensionable income due to your disability. It is a condition that the basis on which your income is calculated is at least 50 per cent of the basic amount under the Norwegian national insurance scheme. 

How to apply for sickness benefit when staying in Norway

In order to qualify for sickness benefit, you must document your occupational disability by producing a doctor's certificate /sick leave certificate.

This does not apply during the self-certification period (text in Norwegian).

You must send part D of the sick leave certificate to your employer, who is responsible for paying sickness benefit for the first 16 calendar days of your sick leave. This period is called the employer's period.

NAV will pay your sickness benefit when the employer’s period has expired.

If you have a registered Norwegian address, you must send part D of your sick leave certificate to NAV. The county you live in determines which address to use.

If you do not have a registered address in Norway, the county where your employer has its registered office determines where to send part D of your sick leave certificate.

Read more about where to send your sick leave certificate (text in Norwegian).

Your employer is obliged to provide information about your income and employment details to NAV. Payments will be made directly to you. In some cases the employer will advance sickness benefit to the employee and claim a refund from NAV. You will need to clarify this with your employer.

If you are self-employed, you are not entitled to sickness benefit for the first 16 days of your sick leave. NAV pays sickness benefit from the 17th day. You may contact NAV Local Services for more information.

In order to add periods of national insurance scheme membership, periods of employment and residence in other EEA countries to your qualifying period when claiming sickness benefit in Norway, you will need to obtain a certificate (Form E 104) from the country in question as proof.

For further questions, you may call NAV at 55 55 33 33.  

Calculation of sickness benefit

The basis for calculating your sickness benefit is mainly the amount of income you had in the first four weeks prior to the first day of your sick leave, translated into annual income.

Only income earned in Norway may be included in the calculations.

The sickness benefit basis may not exceed six times the National Insurance basic amount.

If your sick leave is partial, you are entitled to claim sickness benefit corresponding to your degree of occupational disability. Your sickness benefit may be graded from 100 per cent down to 20 per cent.

Follow-up and activity requirements

NAV Local Services follows up those who are receiving sickness benefit.

In order to qualify for sickness benefit, you must attempt to resume work-related activity as early as possible, and not later than eight weeks, except when your medical condition clearly prevents such activity.

Within four weeks, you and your employer must agree on a follow-up plan detailing how you best can get back to work. If you are not involved in a work-related activity within eight weeks, NAV requires an expanded doctor's certificate as documentation of weighty medical grounds that prevent activity.

How long are you entitled to claim sickness benefit for?

You are only entitled to sickness benefit for up to one year. Any sickness benefit paid by another EEA country that you received before you started working in Norway may be included in this period if it is a question of the same illness.

If you are still unable to work when the sickness benefit is no longer paid, you may be entitled to other benefits, such as work assessment allowance or disability pension. You will have to apply to NAV for these benefits. In order to re-qualify for sickness benefit from NAV, you must have been totally fit for work for 26 weeks after the last period for which you received sickness benefit from us.


See Payment dates, holiday pay and tax withholding

You can also check your payments on Dine utbetalinger

Sickness benefit in case of illness which occurs while staying in your country of residence

If you are working in Norway and become ill while staying in your country of residence, you are entitled to claim sickness benefit from Norway to be paid in your country of residence. Sickness benefit will be paid pursuant to Norwegian law

You must notify the institution concerned in your country of residence immediately if you become ill while staying there. Under Norwegian law, a doctor's certificate on form E116 may be required from the doctor who is treating you in your country of residence.

The institution in the country of residence is required to forward the doctor's certificate to Norway immediately after your medical examination. At the same time, it is the duty of the institution in your country of residence to present a claim for sickness benefit on form E 115, on behalf of the member, to the competent institution in Norway.

It is the responsibility of the institution in the country of residence to follow up the person on sick leave.  

Sickness benefit while staying in or moving to another EEA country

Under Norwegian law, EEA citizens are entitled to sickness benefit from Norway while staying or moving to another EEA countries.

More information

If you have further questions about sickness benefit, please contact your NAV Local Services in the municipality/city district where you live.

Most of the main information about your entitlements and duties is available here in English. There are also links to other more detailed information; however, some of this information is only available in Norwegian.