Child benefit and cash-for-care benefit to foreign employees in Norway

Different circumstances mean that you may be entitled to child benefit and cash-for-care benefit as a foreign employee in Norway.

When are you eligible for child benefit and cash-for-care benefit?

If you live in Norway together with your family:

  • When the whole family lives in Norway and will be staying here for at least 12 months, you may be entitled to child benefit and cash-for-care benefit. This applies to all foreign nationals who are resident in Norway, registered on the Norwegian population register and who have a residence permit or have legal residence on other grounds.
  • If you are a national of an EEA country* and are working in Norway, you may be entitled to child benefit and cash-for-care benefit even if you will be residing in Norway for less than 12 months.
  • To qualify for cash-for-care benefits, there is an added condition: you need to have been member of the national Insurance scheme in Norway or by a social security scheme in another EEA member state for at least 5 years.

If you are a national of an EEA country and are working in Norway while your family are living in another EEA country:

  • If the parent who is living in his or her home country (EEA country) is a wage earner or is self-employed or receiving unemployment benefit and is entitled to child benefit and cash-for-care benefit in his or her home country, NAV will pay the difference between the Norwegian benefit and the benefit paid by the home country.
  • If the parent who is living in his or her home country (EEA country) is not a wage earner and is also not receiving unemployment benefit, the parent who is working in Norway is entitled to benefits from Norway.
  • EEA nationals who are working on board a Norwegian ship or on the Norwegian continental shelf are treated equally to foreign employees on the Norwegian mainland. However, this does not apply to sailors from Latvia, Poland and Romania who are working on ships registered in the “Norwegian International Ship Register”. The social insurance legislation of their home country applies to these people.

If you have been posted from an EEA country to work in Norway:

  • If your employer in your home country (EEA country) has sent you on assignment to Norway, you are not entitled to child benefit or cash-for-care benefit in Norway. The reason for this is that you still have an employer in your home country, and you are still a member of the social insurance scheme there.
  • If your spouse / cohabiting partner and child are with you in Norway and your spouse / cohabiting partner takes up employment here, he/she will become a member of the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme. He or she will then be entitled to child benefit, even if their residence in Norway is less than 12 months.

How to apply for cash benefit and cash-for-care benefit?

  • An application for child benefit and cash-for-care benefit must be made on the appropriate forms, which you will find under “Form and Application”.

You must enclose the following with your application

A certificate from your home country confirming that you are the parent of the child for whom you are claiming benefits

  • (Birth certificate), if the child is not registered in the Norwegian Population Register. This certificate must be issued by the population register or other competent authority in your home country.
  • Documentation of your Norwegian national ID number or D-number.
  • Identification numbers from your home country for you, your child and the other parent.
  • Proof of employment in Norway (copy of your employment contract).
  • To qualify for cash-for-care benefit, you must also include documentation from your home country that you have lived there for at least 5 years unless you have not been covered by national insurance in Norway for at least 5 years.

If you are self-employed, please submit the following:

  • A copy of assignment orders and invoices for the period before you became liable for VAT registration, and a customer ledger summary for the period after you became liable for VAT registration.
  • A Certificate of Registration for your enterprises from the Brønnøysund Register Centre.

If you are sole caregiver for your child and are claiming extended child benefit and the child is living in your home country (EEA country), you must provide details of the name, address and ID number of the person who is caring for your child in your home country. You must also document that you are the sole caregiver. Valid documents are a separate or divorce certificate as well as a copy of any agreement / decision regarding the child’s residence.

When you fill out the application form for cash-for-care benefit, it is important that you fill out item 5 of the application form. If the child attends a day-care centre that receives public funding or grants, you must enclose confirmation from the day-care centre, stating the maximum number of hours the child is allowed to attend the day-care centre.

When NAV has received your application, NAV is normally obliged to collect documentation from your home country, including whether you or the other parent of the child are receiving child benefit or an equivalent benefit. In some countries there is a central institution that will respond to these types of enquiries, while in other countries this is done at regional or local levels. Therefore, you must specify the municipality and region (county/state or similar) in which your family members are living.

About child benefit and cash-for-care benefit

Child benefit is granted from the month following the birth of the child or from the month after you and the child arrive in Norway. If the child is born in Norway after you have been registered in the population register, the child benefit will, as a general rule, be granted automatically. Read more about the child benefit.

Cash-for-care benefit is granted for children between the ages of one to two years old, who have not started school. Read more about cash-for-care benefit.

Notify changes

If there are changes in your income, family and / or job situation, or you are planning to stay abroad, this may affect the amount you receive from NAV. In such cases, you must notify NAV immediately.

*If you are a national of an EEA country, you are covered by the EEA Regulation that applies to these benefits. Nordic conventions and certain social security agreements may mean that citizens of non-EEA countries are also covered by the EEA Directive.