Benefit for single mother/father

The single mother/father benefit is intended to ensure income for those caring for children on their own and to encourage self-support.

Who can get benefit as a single mother/father?

You must be unmarried, divorced, or separated. Actual breakdown of a relationship can, under certain circumstances, be equated with separation. You must be the sole carer of a child and meet the condition that you are not living with the other parent of the child, or somebody to whom you have been married.  Nor can you receive benefit if you have a cohabiter and have lived with him/her for 12 of the last 18 months. You must have been a member of the National Insurance Scheme for the last three years, and you and the child must live and reside in Norway. Under certain rules, some of the conditions may be waived.

All those receiving benefit as a single mother or father must notify NAV Local Services about any changes that may affect their entitlement to benefit or its size.

How do you apply?

You can get a quicker response if you obtain the information yourself that NAV Local Services require to process your application.

You must submit an application for single mother/father benefit in writing.  The claim should be submitted on the form "Claim for single mother/father benefit”” - NAV 15-00.01.

NAV Local Services will assess whether you satisfy the conditions for entitlement to benefit as a single breadwinner on the basis of the information you provide here.

The application should be sent to NAV Local Services where you live.

What can you get?

If you satisfy the general entry conditions for benefit entitlement as single mother/father, you may have the right to:

  • Transitional benefit

  • Child care benefit
  • Educational benefit
  • Removal grant to take up work

When you move abroad

First you must check whether you will retain membership of the National Insurance Scheme.

The main rule is that you and the children must reside in Norway.

Following application, the benefit may be granted while living abroad if

  • the stay abroad is not intended to last more than six months, or
  • the stay abroad is due to work for a Norwegian employer.

You have a duty to notify NAV Local Services if you move abroad or will be staying there temporarily.

For others coming to Norway

First you must check whether you will become a member of the National Insurance Scheme.

As a general rule, in order to be entitled to benefit as a single mother/father, you must have been a member of the National Insurance Scheme for the last three years prior to submitting your claim.  The condition of prior membership does not apply to refugees and stateless persons.  Regulations have been laid down stating the circumstances where the general rule can be waived. (See regulations for Section 15-2).

Most of the main information about your entitlements and duties is available here in English. There are also links to other more detailed information; however, some of this information is only available in Norwegian.

Report changes

Changes in your income, family situation and/or work situation may affect the payment you receive from the Norwegian Labour and Welfare Administration. Stays abroad may also affect your payment.  You must therefore immediately report any such changes to your local NAV office.