Attendance allowance in connection with a child's illness

The attendance allowance is intended to compensate for loss of income when you are caring for a child who needs constant care and supervision due to illness or injury.

Who is eligible for an attendance allowance?

You may be eligible for an attendance allowance if you are caring for a child under the age of 18 who is ill or injured or who has a congenital disability, and if you, in the interest of the child, have to

  • stay with the child while he or she is an inpatient at a healthcare institution, or 
  • stay at home with the child because he or she needs constant care and supervision. The need for supervision must be so great that the child can not be left alone.

As a condition of eligibility, the child must have received treatment from a hospital physician or a physician affiliated with a specialist health service.

Also, you must have

  • worked for a period of no less than 4 weeks immediately prior to your absence from work, or have been a recipient of unemployment benefits, sickness benefits, parental benefits, an attendance allowance or a training allowance from NAV
  • had an income equivalent to no less than half of 1G (the National Insurance basic amount), and
  • suffered a loss of income as a result of your caring for the child during his or her illness or injury. 

NAV will assess whether you qualify for an attendance allowance.

If the child is hospitalized and a physician documents the need, two carers may qualify for simultaneous attendance allowances at 100 percent coverage. If the child is receiving care at home, the physician must provide documentation that the child’s care needs are so great that it requires two people to care for the child simultaneously.

Two caregivers may also split an attendance allowance up to 100 percent coverage between themselves, provided each caregiver takes on no less than 20 percent. For example, the attendance allowance can be split 60/40, 20/20, or 50/50. 

In order to qualify for an attendance allowance, you must be responsible for the child’s care. Parents who have their child living permanently with them have care of the child, but visitation parents and step-parents also have a right to attendance allowance. 

Caregivers other than the parents may also be entitled to attendance allowance if they have full or partial care of the child. This could, for example, be grandparents, aunt/uncle, adult siblings, other family members or other close relations.

Common and normally temporary illnesses, such as upper respiratory tract infections, gastroenteritis, childhood diseases, conjunctivitis, etc., will normally not qualify a carer for attendance allowance. In these case, care benefit days may be an option.

For children who have a chronic illness, however, the normally benign illnesses described above may be more serious. In these cases, you may be eligible for an attendance allowance if the child requires treatment by a specialist health service while also needing constant care and supervision.

If your child’s care needs are permanent, you may qualify for attendance benefit from NAV. You should also contact your municipality to find out if you qualify for cash benefits for care or other assistive measures.  

Go to “Rules and regulations” for more detailed information in Chapter 9 of the National Insurance Act.

How much can you receive?

Attendance allowances are calculated the same way as sickness benefits. Attendance allowances are paid from day 1. The basis for calculation is determined on the basis of your documented income on the date from which you are claiming attendance allowances. The maximum basis for calculation is 6 times the National Insurance basic amount. The attendance allowance is paid for 5 days per week, excluding Saturdays and Sundays.

If you receive a foster care allowance or cash benefits for care, you must state this on the application for attendance allowance. Foster care and cash benefits for care can affect the calculation and payment of the attendance allowance.

Your employer may advance attendance allowance payments to you and claim reimbursement from NAV.

Go to “Rules and regulations” for more detailed information in Chapter 8 of the National Insurance Act.

Attendance allowance for caring for a person over the age of 18

You may be entitled to attendance allowance if you care for a person over 18 years of age who is developmentally disabled, and needs 24-hour supervision and care due to a life-threatening or other extremely serious illness or injury.

The right to attendance allowance for the care of developmentally disabled persons over 18 years of age applies only to life-threatening or extremely serious illness. Only the most serious cases of illness provide entitlement to attendance allowance. They include, for example, cancer, major road traffic injuries or serious heart failure. Whether the illness is acute, unresolved or critical may also play a role.

To be eligible, you must be the caregiver for a developmentally disabled person in need of continuous supervision and care. These are the same requirements as for the right to attendance allowance for children under 18 years of age. Parents of a developmentally disabled person over the age of 18 are primarily entitled to attendance allowance.

The rules applying to qualifying period, lost work income, gradation and number of days of attendance allowance are the same as for attendance allowance for children under 18 years of age.

Graded attendance allowance

If the child is attending kindergarten or school/child care for school-aged children, or another supervision or relief arrangement has been established for your child, your attendance allowance will be graded. The number of hours the child is in outside care is seen in context of a standard work week of 37.5 hours, with a maximum of 7.5 hours per day. As a result, your attendance allowance will be reduced, depending on the level of outside care and supervision your child is under. If your child is under outside care and supervision for more than 30 hours per week, you do not qualify for an attendance allowance.

All hours of outside care must be listed.

You may qualify for an attendance allowance at 100 percent coverage if the child’s outside care is sporadic, irregular and of short duration. It is therefore very important that you provide NAV with all relevant information concerning the care your child is receiving.

You may also be entitled to full attendance allowance if the current supervision arrangement is not satisfactory for the child. This applies in cases where only the caregiver can meet the child’s medical needs while he or she is in the supervision arrangement. The same applies in cases where, out of consideration for treatment of the child, it is necessary that the caregiver is present or available while the child is in the supervision arrangement, for example, in connection with mental illness. The child’s need for the caregiver to be present or available while the child is in the supervision arrangement must be documented by a doctor.

If your child is under outside care for less than 3 hours and 45 minutes per week, and your loss of income is 100 percent, you are entitled to a full attendance allowance.

Graded Attendance allowances coverage can not be less than 20 percent.

Attendance allowance and stays abroad

As a norm, you have to be in Norway in order to qualify for an attendance allowance.  You must notify NAV if you are planning a stay abroad.

You may, however, be entitled to keep your attendance allowance for a limited period of up to 8 weeks over a period of 12 months if you are staying abroad with the sick child. Apply through the service Send beskjed til NAV.

You may also be entitled to keep your attendance allowance during stays abroad if the child is being treated or admitted to a foreign health care institution and the treatment is payed by Norwegian national insurance.

EEA regulations stipulate that foreign workers employed by a Norwegian employer may qualify for attendance allowances from Norway, even if the child’s care and supervision is taking place in another EEA country.

How to apply

You must fill out and sign the form “Søknad om pleiepenger ved barns sykdom” (NAV 09-11.05). Please read the instructions at the back of the form carefully.

When you apply for an attendance allowance for a period of up to 8 weeks, the medical statement must always be made by a hospital physician. Should you need to claim attendance allowances for a period beyond 8 weeks, you will have to reapply, and this time any physician in a specialist health service can fill out the medical statement.

Psychologists, psychology specialists, physical therapists, social workers, general practitioners or other professional groups cannot sign the medical statement.

We also need information about your income.

  • If you are an employee, your employer must send us your income information  digitally. You must yourself ensure that your employer sends the income report to NAV. 
  • If you are self-employed or a freelancer, you must submit form NAV 09-35.01.
  • If you are temporarily unemployed, you must submit form NAV 08-47.05.

If you apply for an extension and it is less than 4 weeks since you last received the attendance allowance, your employer must send an amended income report with the new periods.

The form is listed under the heading of “Forms and applications”.

Time limit for applications

NAV can grant attendance allowances dating back up to 3 months before the month you submitted your claim, provided you meet all the criteria. If you are claiming an attendance allowance for June, for example, you must submit your claim to NAV by the end of September. 

Report changes

You must immediately notify NAV if your child no longer needs constant care and supervision, or if:

  • a care arrangement is established for your child or your child extends its time there   
  • you return to work or increase your hours
  • you are going on holiday
  • you are planning a stay abroad


See the expected processing time for your county. In order to process the case, all necessary documentation must be received.

Approx. 10 days after submitting your application, you can log on to Ditt NAV to see the status of your claim.

Go to payment dates, holiday pay and tax withholding to see when your attendance allowance will be paid. See all your payments from NAV in the last three months by logging on to Ditt NAV. On Ditt NAV you may also change your registered bank account number

Do you have any further questions about attendance allowance?

Call us at 55 55 33 33, choose 3, and then 3. This will connect you to one of our advisers who specialize in attendance allowances. Employer or physician? Call 55 55 33 36. 

Most of the main information about your entitlements and duties is available here in English. There are also links to other more detailed information; however, some of this information is only available in Norwegian.